top of page
  • Writer's pictureEvangelos Drakou

Getting married in Greece: A useful guide to requirements and documents for your wedding in Greece

Updated: Nov 23, 2023

Mr & Mrs wood sign

  1. FULL Birth certificate (one for each of the spouses).

  2. VALID Marriage Licences issued by your Town Hall (one Licence or one for each of the spouses) OR VALID Certificates of No Impediment (one for each of the spouses) as long as they clearly state the details of both the bride and the groom (name, surname, marital status, place of residence, occupation, nationality) as well as the place where the proposed wedding will take place (i.e. Rhodes, Greece).

  3. Divorce Absolute (if there is a previous marriage) or death certificate in case of widow/widower.

  4. In case there’s a name or last name change, you need to provide a document that states it i.e. a Deed Poll.

  5. Passports - Photocopies of the identity information page for both parties.


*The documents under 1, 2, 3 and 4 must be legalised with an APOSTILLE issued by the authorities of your country, for those countries that are member States of the Convention of Hague (APOSTILLE). Please note that the legalisation of documents must take place PRIOR to their official translation.

**The documents under 1, 2, 3 and 4 must be officially translated into the Greek language by an approved translator or competent lawyer who signs as the translator.

***All documents should be issued from the competent authorities in your country within their validation time.

****For British nationals, your certificates of no impediment should be issued not earlier than 6 months, if they were issued in England, Wales or Northern Ireland or 3 months, if they were issued in Scotland. If you live in another country, check with your local register office to find out how long your documents are valid for.

*****Hardcopies of documents (excluding passports) and their translations will be kept by the Greek authorities and will not be returned to you. Please note that you cannot use your original-initial birth certificate, you must obtain a recent copy legalised with an APOSTILLE issued by the authorities of your country.


At Found in Translation Ltd we provide certified translations (which are also known as official translations) of documents for couples getting married in Greece which comply with the legal requirements set by the Greek Government.

Our certified/official translations are performed by approved translators and/or competent lawyers and are recognised by Registry Offices all over Greece.

For further information and to receive a personalised free quote for translation of your documents, feel free to get in touch!

bottom of page